Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Improve Your Sewer & Drain IQ!

faqIn our line of work – sewer and drain clearing along with related services – there are always questions from customers eager to learn more about what we do, the exact nature of their particular drain problem, and more.

Here, we’ve done our best to restate your questions and provide you with meaningful answers to each one. From time to time we’ll be adding to this section, so be sure to check back again; or contact us directly if there’s something you need to know right away.

How quickly can you attend to my blocked drain or sewer?

We pride ourselves on our fast response. Generally blocked sewers and drains get Same Day priority. We have the right equipment and specialist experience to ensure that your sewer or drain will be cleared as quickly as we can. If you have an urgent problem, call us on 9291 6001 and we’ll get to you as fast as possible.

Do you service my area?

KP Drainflo looks after residents and businesses throughout Perth’s eastern suburbs, from Kalamunda to Belmont, north to Midland and south to Gosnells. We have one of the largest fleets of drain-clearing specialists in Perth’s eastern suburbs, so we can get to you quickly.

What are your trading hours?

Our normal hours are from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, except for public holidays. Service provided before or after normal trading hours will incur a  surcharge. So call us at 9291 6001 to discuss booking service at a time most convenient to you.

Who is responsible for the cost of clearing a blocked drain?

The homeowner is usually responsible for the cost of clearing blocked drains and sewers, including the section of sewer drain that runs from your property out to Water Corps sewer main. If you’re renting, the landlord should cover the cost, unless you have been doing something in your property outside the terms of your lease which has caused the problem, or you’ve been excessive in what you’ve flushed down your toilet. However if it can’t be verified that the landlord will be covering the cost, we will expect the occupant to pay. Our terms require payment on completion.

How will I know if my drain is blocked?

If your sewer or drains are blocked, your toilet may not be flushing away properly, or your shower, bath or sinks may be draining slowly. You may also be experiencing an “overflow” from the grated drain (yard gully) outside your house.

If your septic tank or leach drains are full and backing up, this will generally give the same indication as a blocked sewer or drain. Water may also be pooling somewhere on your property.

Are there any “early warning signs” of a blocked drain?

If you hear gurgling or glugging sounds coming up from your shower, bath or sink, or from the bathroom floor, then your drains may already be partially blocked. If water is draining away slower than normal, if your toilet is taking a long time to flush away, or the water level in it is rising or falling below normal levels, these are also warning signs of a blockage.

If the grated drain outside your house overflows when the washing machine is in use, this is also a sign of a blockage, or may be due to a water-logged leach drain.

If you are experiencing any of these issues, please call KP Drainflo on 9291 6001.

Are Drain Openers that can be purchased from local hardware stores a good option?

In a word: NO! These products are mostly developed from Caustic Soda or Hydrochloric Acid and are highly dangerous to use! Please be very careful if you do decide to put Caustic or Acid in your Drains. Make sure you wear appropriate Chemical Resistant Gloves, Eye Protection, A Mask, Long Sleeve Shirt and Pants. These Chemicals CAN BURN, and CAN BLIND YOU. They can also affect your Family and Pets.

Also, if you call your Plumber or Drain Clearing Specialist to come out and clear your drains after you have used these chemicals and they haven’t worked, please let them know. I’m sure you wouldn’t want them to be burned or blinded either.

Is there a safe alternative to dangerous toxic Drain Openers?

YES! We can provide you with a safe alternative called Bio-Clean.

Bio-Clean is a special combination of natural bacteria and enzymes that DIGEST dead organic waste found in your plumbing system, including grease, hair, soap scum, body fats, food particles, paper and cotton.

Bio-Clean does not produce heat, fumes or boiling action like chemical Drain Openers do. Bio-Clean is safe for people, plumbing and the environment. Unlike chemical Drain Openers, Bio-Clean bacteria and enzymes aren’t diluted by water and don’t rely on gravity to spread through your plumbing system.

Bio-Clean is exclusive to KP Drainflo, so give us a call on 9291 6001 for more information.

Do you fix blocked drains on commercial premises?

YES! We fix drains and sewers for schools, shops, lunch bars, day care centres, aged care facilities, factories, offices, restaurants, government offices, or any premises or property that has a drain or sewer.

How do drain pipes get crushed or broken when they are under ground?

Even if you don’t live in an earthquake zone, the ground actually still moves from time to time. This can be made worse by renovations on your property, heavy vehicular traffic over the top of drains, recent excavation work, tree roots, and even other tradesman interfering with your drains and not telling you. Even heavy rain can cause the ground to sag or seep, leading to old style drainpipes cracking or breaking.

What should I do if my drains are constantly getting blocked?

Sewers and drains that are in good order shouldn’t constantly block up. Having to regularly clear blocked drains, even if only every 12 to 18 months, is an indication that something is amiss.

Depending on the nature of your drain problems, the following options may apply:

  • Treat your pipes with an environmentally friendly root inhibiter chemical, or a “grease eating” bacteria waste eliminator.
  • Replace your old drain pipe system with (virtually) seamless PVC pipes and fittings.
  • “No-Dig” pipe patching or relining. Relining can be easier, faster and sometimes cheaper than digging up your drains.
  • Service your septic tank/s.
  • Replace your waterlogged leach drain.

Call us on 9291 6001 for more information on your best option.

How often should I pump out my septic tanks?

You need to empty your septic tanks every 3-5 years depending on the number of occupants in the premises. At the same time, you should check your leach drain (or leach drains), to determine the available capacity. A sure sign that your septic system is getting full is if your drains slowing down and gurgling through the drains (similar to a blocked sewer or drain pipe). However, just pumping them out is not the end of it. You should check your Septic tanks on a regular basis, as tree Roots can soon get a hold in the tanks or leach drain/s and cause severe problems.

Also, do not build or concrete over the top of the septic tank or leach drain lids. And be mindful that if you brick pave over septic tank lids, at some time in the future (every 3 to 5 years) the lids will have to be opened to service the septic tanks properly. Do NOT pave over leach drain lids as the leach drain needs to “breath”.

There is one thing, however: we don’t get involved in pumping out septic tanks and leach drains (or grease traps). For those important tasks we recommend going direct to local company SG Environmental (you probably know them as Sandgroper Septics). To contact them directly and skip the “middle man”, call 9291 9806.

How often should I pump out my leach drains?

Leach drains are not designed to hold or contain liquid or sullage like a septic tank (it is a “soakage” system after all), therefore they are not designed to be pumped out on a regular basis.

If the cause of your blocked drain is due to a “full leach drain”, this is a sign of water logging and “failure” and may therefore need to be replaced or upgraded. Or you may have a “failed” sullage transfer pump.

Call us on 9291 6001 for more information.

I have two leach drains. How often should they be switched over and can I do this myself.

Two or more leach drains should be switched-over or alternated at least every 12 months. This will ensure that there is always one leach drain resting (drying out) and ready to be alternated.

YES, you could switch the leach drains over yourself if you know where your leach drain diverter is. However if you are having problems locating your leach drain diverter or you aren’t able to carry out “the switch-over” for whatever reason, one of our technicians is available to carry out this service for. If you phone our Call Centre on 9291 6001, we will arrange a service call.